Skip to content

My Dog Ate Drywall

Eating drywall, also known as sheetrock, can be dangerous for dogs as it can cause gastrointestinal issues such as vomiting and diarrhea. It can also cause blockages in the intestines. 

Contact your veterinarian immediately for advice on what to do next. They may recommend that your dog be seen for an examination or possibly even x-rays to check for blockages in the intestines.

What do I do if my dog ate drywall?

If your dog has eaten drywall, it is important to seek veterinary care as soon as possible. Eating drywall can cause gastrointestinal issues such as vomiting and diarrhea, and can also lead to blockages in the intestines. Here are some steps you can take:

  1. Contact your veterinarian immediately and inform them of the situation. They will provide you with specific instructions on how to proceed.
  2. Keep an eye on your dog’s symptoms. If your dog is showing signs of vomiting, diarrhea, or abdominal pain, take note of them and report them to your veterinarian.
  3. Follow any instructions given by your veterinarian. They may recommend that your dog be seen for an examination or possibly even x-rays to check for blockages in the intestines.
  4. Monitor your dog closely for any changes in their condition and keep them away from any other potential hazards.

It is important to remember that if your dog ate a large amount of drywall or if he’s showing signs of toxicity, it’s important to act as soon as possible as it can be very dangerous.

Is drywall toxic to dogs?

drywall, also known as sheetrock, is not inherently toxic to dogs. However, it can cause gastrointestinal issues such as vomiting and diarrhea if ingested. Additionally, if a large enough piece is swallowed, it can cause blockages in the intestines, which can be very dangerous and even life-threatening. In some cases, the dog may develop an obstruction in the digestive tract, which needs to be surgically removed.

Ingestion of drywall can also cause other issues such as:

  • Breathing problems if the drywall dust is inhaled
  • Toxicity due to the presence of other materials in drywall, such as lead or asbestos, which can be toxic to dogs if ingested or inhaled.

It is important to note that even small amounts of drywall can cause problems for dogs, and it is best to keep them away from it altogether. If you suspect your dog has ingested drywall, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Should I induce vomiting if my dog ate drywall?

Inducing vomiting in a dog that has ingested drywall should only be done under the guidance of a veterinarian. Depending on the quantity of drywall that was ingested, the timing of ingestion, the size of the dog and the overall condition of the animal, inducing vomiting may or may not be appropriate.

Ingesting drywall can cause gastrointestinal issues such as vomiting and diarrhea, and can also lead to blockages in the intestines. If a large enough piece is swallowed, it can cause perforations in the intestines and other serious complications. Inducing vomiting in these cases could cause further damage to the digestive system and make the situation worse.

The veterinarian will consider all these factors and may recommend inducing vomiting if it’s safe to do so, and if it’s done within a certain timeframe. They may also recommend other treatments such as administering activated charcoal to absorb any toxins, or even surgery if there’s a blockage or perforation.

It is important to contact your veterinarian immediately if your dog has ingested drywall, and follow their instructions.

Can dogs pass drywall?

It is possible for a dog to pass drywall, but it depends on the size and amount of drywall that was ingested, as well as the overall health and condition of the dog.

If a small piece of drywall is ingested, it is likely that the dog will be able to pass it through their digestive system without any major issues. However, if a large piece is swallowed, it can cause blockages in the intestines and require surgery to remove.

Ingesting drywall can also cause gastrointestinal issues such as vomiting and diarrhea, which can make it difficult for the dog to pass the drywall. In some cases, the dog may need to be given laxatives or enemas to help move the drywall through their system.

It is important to note that even small amounts of drywall can cause problems for dogs, and it is best to keep them away from it altogether. If you suspect your dog has ingested drywall, contact your veterinarian immediately. They will be able to advise you on the best course of action and monitor your dog’s condition.

How do I keep my dog from eating drywall?

Here are some steps you can take to keep your dog from eating drywall:

  1. Keep drywall out of reach: Make sure to keep drywall, as well as any other construction materials, out of reach of your dog by storing them in a locked room or cabinet.
  2. Use baby gates: Use baby gates or other barriers to block off areas where drywall or other construction materials are being used to prevent your dog from entering.
  3. Supervise your dog: When you are working on a renovation project, make sure to keep a close eye on your dog and supervise them at all times to prevent them from getting into drywall or other construction materials.
  4. Provide appropriate chew toys: Provide your dog with appropriate chew toys and bones to keep them occupied and prevent them from chewing on drywall or other dangerous materials.
  5. Train your dog: Teaching your dog the command “leave it” can be helpful to prevent them from eating drywall or other dangerous items.
  6. Secure your house: Check for any holes or openings in your house that your dog might be able to access and repair or block them off to prevent them from getting into areas where drywall is present.

It is important to remember that dogs are naturally curious animals, and they may be attracted to the smell or texture of drywall. It is essential to keep them away from it and provide them with safe alternatives to prevent them from ingesting it.

Proper care for dogs that have eaten drywall 

Proper care for a dog that has eaten drywall will depend on the amount of drywall that was ingested and the overall health and condition of the dog. Here are some general guidelines for caring for a dog that has eaten drywall:

  1. Contact your veterinarian immediately: Your veterinarian will be able to advise you on the best course of action and provide specific instructions for caring for your dog.
  2. Monitor your dog’s symptoms: Keep an eye on your dog’s symptoms, such as vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain, and report them to your veterinarian.
  3. Follow any instructions given by your veterinarian: This may include administering medication, providing supportive care, or even surgery if there is a blockage or perforation in the intestines.
  4. Keep your dog away from other potential hazards: Keep your dog away from any other potential hazards, such as other construction materials, to prevent further incidents.
  5. Provide a proper diet: If your dog is experiencing diarrhea or vomiting, your veterinarian may recommend a special diet that is easy to digest.
  6. Follow up with your veterinarian: After your dog has recovered, it is important to follow up with your veterinarian to ensure that there are no long-term complications.

It is important to remember that ingesting drywall can be very dangerous for dogs, and it is essential to seek veterinary care as soon as possible. Your veterinarian will be able to provide the best care and treatment for your dog.

What other household items are dangerous for dogs?

There are many household items that can be dangerous for dogs if ingested or if they come into contact with them. Some common examples include:

  1. Cleaning products: Many cleaning products, such as bleach and laundry detergent, can be toxic to dogs if ingested or if they come into contact with them.
  2. Medications: Many medications, including over-the-counter and prescription drugs, can be harmful to dogs if ingested.
  3. Food items: Some food items such as chocolate, grapes, raisins, onions, garlic, alcohol, and xylitol (a sugar substitute) can be toxic to dogs.
  4. Plants: Some plants can be toxic to dogs if ingested, such as lilies, daffodils, and sago palms.
  5. Insecticides and pesticides: These chemicals can be harmful to dogs if ingested or if they come into contact with them.
  6. Batteries: If batteries are ingested they can cause chemical burns or blockages in the dog’s digestive system
  7. Objects with small parts: small objects such as toys, jewelry, or small batteries can be swallowed by dogs and can cause blockages in the intestines or perforations.
  8. Paints and varnishes: These products can be toxic if ingested or inhaled, and can cause respiratory issues and skin irritation.

It is important to keep these and any other potentially dangerous items out of reach of dogs, supervise them, and properly store them. It’s always a good idea to familiarize yourself with the signs of toxicity and know what to do in case of emergency.

Final Thoughts

drywall is not inherently toxic to dogs, but it can cause gastrointestinal issues such as vomiting and diarrhea if ingested, and can also lead to blockages in the intestines if a large enough piece is swallowed. 

It’s essential to keep drywall out of reach of dogs, supervise them, and properly store them. Additionally, there are many other household items that can be dangerous for dogs, such as cleaning products, medications, food items, plants, insecticides and pesticides, batteries, objects with small parts, and paints and varnishes. 

Be aware of these potential hazards and to keep them out of reach of dogs to prevent accidents and protect their health. If you suspect your dog has ingested something dangerous, you should contact your veterinarian immediately.

fb-share-icon
Instagram